Source: www.buzzfeed.com - Saturday, January 31, 2015
After a reported 112 days of fighting, the city of Kobani has been released from ISIS control. Osman Orsal / Reuters Kurdish ground forces, aided by extensive airstrike from the U.S., have regained the Syrian town of Kobani from ISIS control, U.S. Lieutenant-General James Terry said on Saturday. Two suspected ISIS fighters admitted that the militant group has abandoned Kobani due to U.S.-led airstrikes in a video given to the ISIS-aligned Amak news agency, saying that aerial attacks from fighter jets led them to retreat, the Guardian reported . Earlier this week, Kurdish fighters battling ISIS said that after 122 of fighting, the city was no longer in ISIS control, CNN reported . Supporting the claim of the Kurdish forces, Lieutenant-General Terry said in a statement that "Kurdish ground forces, supported by our air component, were successful in retaking the town of Kobani." The Kurdish fighters, known as the YPG or People's Protection Units, were backed by an extensive campaign of airstrikes by the U.S.-led international coalition against ISIS. Osman Orsal / Reuters "Recently, we have withdrawn from Ayn Al-Islam bit by bit, because of the airstrikes and deaths of a number of our brothers," one of the two ISIS fighters said in the video , with most of his face covered. He claimed that ISIS members had raided 360 villages in and around Kobani, adding that the reason for leaving the city is that "we no longer had places to hold the
from Top News on RSS Feeds http://ift.tt/1wOHqb8
from Top News on RSS Feeds http://ift.tt/1wOHqb8